J. Gordon Howard (Gordon) grew up in a military family and moved frequently until his family settled in Alabama. He attended Auburn University and worked as defense contractor prior to attending law school. In 2005, he moved to Memphis, Tennessee to attend law school at the University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphries School of Law.
Gordon’s practice is presently devoted to litigating employment disputes and ERISA matters on behalf of employers, plan fiduciaries, and third-party administrators throughout the United States. He has handled a wide range of ERISA and non-ERISA benefit matters including subrogation and reimbursement claims, health claims, disability claims, life insurance claims, and fiduciary duty claims. He has also litigated employment disputes in state and federal courts around the country.
Before joining Russell, Oliver & Stephens, Gordon defended clients in a wide range of matters including municipal land use and zoning determinations, environmental torts and alleged civil rights violations.
In his spare time, Gordon enjoys spending time with his wife, two daughters, and their dog. He and his family enjoy hanging out with friends, riding bikes, savoring the food and fun that are uniquely Memphis, attending Auburn football games, and doing projects around the house and in the garden.
- University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee, J.D., 2007
- Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, M.B.A., 2004
- Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, B.S.B.A., 2002
- Employee Benefits Litigation
- ERISA Litigation
- Health Care Subrogation
- Worker’s Compensation Subrogation
- Disability Subrogation
- Title VII, ADA, ADEA Discrimination
- FLSA Litigation
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Alabama Bar Association
- Memphis Bar Association
- Hendrix v. Prudential Ins. Co. of Am., 697 Fed. Appx. 806 (5th Cir. June 21, 2017)
- Rahul Shah v. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield, et al., No. 1:16-cv-2528, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 50412 (D.N.J. Mar. 27, 2018)
- MBI Energy Servs v. Hoch, No. 1:16-cv-329, 2018 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 32179 (D.N.D. Feb. 28, 2018)
- Regence BlueShield v. Susan Finn, No. 1:16-cv-03011, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 159534 (E.D. Wash. June 15, 2017)
- CHS/Community Health Systems, Inc. v. Ledford, 204 F. Supp. 3d 983 (M.D. Tenn. 2016)
- Almont Ambulatory Surgery Ctr., LLC v. UnitedHealth Group, Inc., et al., 99 F. Supp. 3d 1110 (C.D. Cal. 2015)
- "Getting Back to Basics: Essential Tools that Help Squeeze More Juice Out of a File"
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals 2018 Conference
- Colorado Springs, Colorado, November 2018
- "How to Navigate the Perfect Subrogation Storm: A Detailed Case Study"
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals 2017 Conference
- Austin, Texas, November 2017
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Alabama Supreme Court
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin