Mr. Russell’s practice is devoted to litigating employment disputes and ERISA matters on behalf of employers and self-funded employee welfare benefit plans throughout the United States. Mr. Russell has tried cases under Title VII in federal district courts around the country. Mr. Russell also has handled numerous appeals before courts of appeals throughout the United States. Mr. Russell is rated “AV” by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Russell has published articles on ERISA preemption and ERISA subrogation litigation in Self-Insurer and the Tort and Insurance Law Journal. Mr. Russell also co-authored a book published through the American Bar Association’s Tort and Insurance Practice Section entitled ERISA Subrogation: Enforcing Recoupment Provisions in ERISA-Covered Health and Disability Plans. Mr. Russell is also a lecturer on employment and ERISA topics.
- University of Memphis School of Law, Memphis, Tennessee, J.D., 1995
- University of Memphis Law Review, 1993-1995
- Recipient, Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence, Jurisprudence
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas, B.A., 1991
- Labor & Employment Litigation
- Sexual Harassment
- Title VII Discrimination
- Age Discrimination in Employment
- “Reasonable Accommodations Under the ADA: Best Practices and Strategic Leadership for 2015’s Hot Issues In HR,"
- AWA Seminar
- Memphis, TN - December 17, 2015
- "ERISA: A Practitioner’s Guide"
- Boston, MA - October, 2002
- "Federal Practice Seminar"
- Memphis, TN - October, 2003
- "ERISA: A Practitioner's Guide"
- Washington, D.C. - May, 2003
- "Health care Subrogation After Great-West Life v. Knudson: Advanced Strategies for the Future"
- Scottsdale, AZ - May, 2002
- "ERISA Subrogation: Enforcing Recoupment Provisions in ERISA-Covered Health and Disability Plans"
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- American Bar Association
- "Substantive and Procedural Considerations in Initiating a Recoupment Action Under Section 502(a)(3)"
- 34 Tort & Insurance Law Journal 969 (Summer 1999)
- "The Make-Whole Rule and Attorney Fee Reductions Doctrines: Maximizing Third-Party Recoupment Opportunities by Understanding How the Courts Have Created and Applied Different Standards"
- The Self-Insurer (June, 1999)
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association (Past President and Member of the Board of Directors)
- Memphis Bar Association
- Trustee, St. Mary’s Episcopal School, Memphis, Tennessee
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Courts for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan